FAQ & Section Info
What tablet should I buy?
Tablet PCs are a great devices. They give a fun wireless experience and allow you to treat the web more like an interactive magazine or newspaper, instead of just another desktop application. It's also easy to watch movies, play games, and a ton of other functions. Which one is right for you?
Well, for Android tablets, one of the most important features is the processor. Double and quad core CPUs in tablets make a big difference in the speed of the tablet, but you also want to make sure there is enough RAM. 512GB of RAM is a good amount of RAM for tablets, but for the best performance you'll want 1GB of RAM or more. Other features to look for are screen size, MicroSD slot for expandable storage, Bluetooth connectivity, Android operating system version, USB connectivity and Mini HDMI or Micro HDMI to connect right to your TV or monitor.
What is an Android Tablet for Kids?
A tablet for kids, like the ones that we stock, is one where the manufacturer has taken an operating system (such as Android) and secured it so that only certain applications can be installed and only certain functions can be used. Some childrens' tablet PCs will allow the parent to log out of the kids version of the tablet to allow for full functionality. They also usually have a soft, child-safe exterior to protect the child and the device.
What is so great about a tablet?
What's great about a tablet is that in a 7 inch to 10 inch device you have all the power of apps, email, social networking, videos, pictures, office apps, etc. They truly have become fully functional "PC's" versus the old days of them being limited devices. With a capacitive touchscreen tablet you can fill it up with all your touchscreen games, movies, books, and other apps to get the most out your mobile experience! With built in wireless support these devices can stream videos from apps like Netflix, Amazon prime, and Hulu Plus. Many have support for 3G/4G Wireless natively or via dongle and output ports such as HDMI, Micro USB, and 3.5mm audio.
What is the difference between a cheap tablet and an expensive one?
Tablets are just like any other computer device - to a large degree you get what you pay for. Discount tablets are typically more useful as entertainment devices. These "entry level" tablets are good for playing games, watching movies, browsing the web, etc. Usually the lower the cost on a tablet, the lower the screen resolution, touch responsiveness, and processor speed. But that doesn't make a budget tablet a bad thing - they still run the same OS as a more powerful/more expensive counterpart would. They simply have lower specifications available to them.
On the flip side, higher end tablets like iPads, Asus Zenpads, Microsoft Surface, Google Nexus, etc. are completely functional mini touchscreen computers to a large degree. You'll see that these tablets have processors powerful enough to run all your office applications, programs, and more. The gaming capabilities of these devices are also enhanced past just being able to run basic apps to now being able to play fully functional 3D and multi-player/online games.
What is the difference a tablet and a laptop?
Tablets are usually a single piece of hardware with an integrated touchscreen that you can control using your finger or a stylus. Laptops are typically larger devices with fully integrated keyboards and desktop grade hardware/software shrunk down to fit a smaller chassis.
Tablets, tablets, TABLETS . . . (tablets). Everyone's talking about them lately, mostly because they're cool, partially because they're efficient, and more likely because people what to know what the heck Angry Birds is all about. If you're still on the fence about buying a tablet, or you're having a tough time picking between a tablet and a laptop, here are 25 reasons why you should take the plunge.
1. Mobile Of course it's mobile! That's the whole point of a tablet right? Stick it in your purse, satchel or pocket and you've got a computer you can take anywhere.So there you have 25 reasons to buy a tablet PC over a laptop! If you're not convinced by now, you may never be. At least, not until someone braves a list of 50!
2. Bigger than a Smart Phone - How cool would it be to watch Lord of the Rings on a 3.5" smart phone screen? Not very! A tablet's 7" to 10" screen will provide a much better experience.
3. Practically a Laptop - As the quality of tablets improves, the gap between them and the laptops will narrow. As is, the capabilities of high-end tablets are right on par with the netbooks that were all the rage a couple of years ago. Picking a tablet over a laptop could be a good move if you're not looking for a super-computer.
4. Reasonably Priced - One of the biggest detractors from the tablet craze is the price, anywhere from $200 to $800. However if you look at it like a new laptop instead of a tertiary gadget, the price seems a lot more reasonable.
5. Future Proof - Remember when there wasn't a phone found in every pocket in America? Soon we'll be saying that about the tablet. Their utility, mobility, and entertainment values are so solid they're sure to make a permanent mark on society.
6. Everyone's Doing it - It is completely impossible to be cool or fit in with anyone if you don't buy a tablet PC immediately.
7. Note Taking - Greet for meetings, classes, or creepy first dates!
8. eReader - Why shell out the bucks for a Kindle when you could get an entire computer that's equally portable and practically the same price?
9. Gaming - It may not have a beefy hexa-core processor or a massive graphics card, but tablets can run many popular games like World of Warcraft. There's also plenty of fun games from various app stores that make tablets as viable for casual gaming as are laptops.
10. Workout buddy - You can use a tablet to watch movies or listen to music while you jog, and then use a weight loss app like "Lose It!" to record your exercise!
11. Storybooks - Why read your kids a boring, non-moving, storybook when you could download a fully animated picture book like Jack and the Beanstalk? Many even feature interactive games that make stories more memorable and engaging.
12. Photo Album - The pictures of your vacation to Cabo or you new baby's chubby cheeks will look much better on a wide screen tablet PC (though it won't make your co-workers care any more).
13. Netflix - Which would you rather do while waiting at a dentist's office? Flip through a Fly Fishing magazine, or watch Hellboy on your tablet?
14. Quiets the young 'uns - When you're done with Hellboy you can stream Ni Hao, Kai Lan to keep the kids quiet once the Novocain wears off.
15. Replaces your MP3 Player - One of the best parts of having a tablet is that it replaces everything! MP3 players included! Many tablets support memory expansion cards, allowing them to hold more songs than you can shake a stick at! If you're trying to choose between a laptop and a tablet, remember that with a laptop you'll still have more gadgets to carry around.
16. Skype - If you get a tablet with a forward facing camera, you can video chat anywhere you please! Not sure which can o' beans to get at the store? Open up Skype video chat with your Mom and she'll tell you!
17. Shopping List - I always bring a shopping list to the store, but I never remember a pencil to cross things off as I buy them. A tablet combines pencil and paper in one, plus allows you to keep track of how much you're spending.
18. Apps - Access to the tablet app stores is a huge draw, with over 100,000 apps to choose from, an app that tracks how long you can press a button, to more useful apps like Microsoft Office.
19. Never be bored - Between movies, music, games, chatting, surfing, and occasional work, owning a tablet is a good way to make sure you're never bored.
20. Email - Nothing will allow you to stay on top of your emails like a tablet PC. While it's true that phones can access email as well, you'll have a much easier time reading and replying to your emails on a tablet.
21. Fast - While tablets run much weaker processors than do laptops, they also require much less processing power. Also, they benefit from solid-state style flash storage which allows almost instantaneous data access.
22. Good enough - It takes very little computing power to run the basic processes that most users spend time on. A tablet is all you need for facebooking, emailing, web surfing, and other simple tasks.
23. Great Desktop Companion - It can seem redundant to own both a desktop and a laptop computer, but some people need the power of the first and the portability of the second. A tablet PC makes a much more natural companion to a desktop than does a laptop.
24. Keyboards - Buy a tablet stand and a little keyboard and you can make using your tablet as simple as using a laptop-with a quarter of the weight and space.
25. Joy - If you buy a tablet from OutletPC, I might get a raise! And that would bring me joy!