Didn't survive surge, potential fire hazard
This surge protector not only did not survive a brownout/surge, but shorted out, smelled like burning insulation, and threw sparks out the front. Looks like bad design and a potential fire hazard to me.We just went through a power failure...Lights flashed off and on several times, then power was out for an hour. When power was restored, one breaker remained tripped and could not be reset, obviously due to a short. After unplugging things one at a time, i determined that this surge protector was the culprit. I turned it off, unplugged the things attached to it, reset the house breaker, turned it on, and started plugging equipment (off, of course) back in one at a time. That's when i noticed the burning insulation smell, and when i tried to pull the plugs back out, there was a big pop and sparks shot out the middle outlet right in my face. The back screw mount is black with soot. I'm guessing one of the surge components failed and shorted out. I'm glad it didn't spark anything flammable when i wasn't looking. Next time i'll be smart enough to realize right away that the short had to be in the surge protector not the equipment plugged into it, or the breaker on the surge protector would have tripped. Anyway, if you have a tripped breaker after a power fluctuation with one of these things, do not plug it back in after you reset the house breaker. Better yet, go get yourself a better surge protector now.